Make your own free website on

Pennsylvania Record Book BUCK ?

deer1.jpg (157228 bytes)deer2.jpg (178239 bytes)deer3.jpg (91639 bytes)

Click on any picture to view full size

As far as the story of this deer it wasn't anything special.I have been hunting the same area for about 30 years and in the last ten or so I hunted for the fun of it , not for the reason of killing a deer. I enjoy the outdoors and seeing the different animals that are in the woods, and as a result I have left quite a few buck.go in the last five to ten years and maybe this was the four pointer I left go
two years ago. Plus the fact that my dad and a friend of ours haven't hunted for the last three years has allowed some of the buck in the area to get a little older and grow better racks.

The story:

I went up on the mountain about three weeks before the season to scout out the area to see what part of the area I hunt might have the best potential. I found a spot that had a lot of rubs and a few
scrapes, so I picked out a tree and got it ready for the first day.I left my truck at 4:30 in the morning and started my hike to my tree. I arrived at the tree at 6:15. I climbed the tree and proceeded to wait just like a lot of other hunters. The morning was damp, drizzly, and foggy. My visibility was reduced to about half of my normal view from the tree. I had herd deer moving by me in the fog
but couldn't see anything. The fog lifted about 10:30 and I started to see deer. I saw four doe around 11:00, about 11:30 a big doe with a small doe and button buck came up to me and bed down about 30 yards from me. That was good because all I had to do was watch them
and they would let me know if there was anything moving through the area. About 12:30 a doe and another button buck came by me. About 1:00 three doe came by me and the ones that had been bed down also got up and went with these three doe. Then around 1:30 I heard a noise
coming through the scrubs and I saw the legs and belly of a deer, it turned and walked away from me then it turned and walked into a clearing, I saw it was a doe but there was another deer behind her,
I waited for about two minutes and out stepped a young doe. So I put my gun back on the hook and watched these two deer for about 5-10 minutes. Then I heard a twig crack from the area these two deer had come from and I thought maybe this could be a buck. I keep looking and I saw the legs and belly at the same spot I had seen the doe earlier and this deer did the same thing the doe had done and started walking away from me. Then there was something different I heard him
grunt then I knew it was a buck and all I was wondering was if it would be a big enough rack to shoot. When he walked through an opening of about five foot I saw the horns and picked out the next opening to take the shoot, and sure enough right when he got to the opening he stopped. I moved the cross hairs back on his body and waited. He finally started to move and I followed his shoulder with the crosshairs and when I didn't have any brush between him and me I fired. He hunched up took two or three hops and went down. I never got a real good look at the rack before I shot and when he fell his head was under him and he was laying on his back and I couldn't see the rack. I hung up the gun and had a cup of coffee to settle myself down. I could see the rack and I knew it was pretty nice. After about 10 minutes I got my things together and climbed down the tree and walked over to him. I lifted his head and was amazed at the size of the rack. It was the biggest rack I had ever seen come off that mountain. Then after field dressing the deer I started the 3 hour drag.

Pretty Good Story:  If you like this deer please email TERRY and congratulate him !!!  Way to go Terry !

Return to the Whitetail Deer Homepage